Compounding – Resin or Color Change: Suggested Purging Procedures
The following are suggested purging procedures for compounding as it applies to resin or color change applications.
- Maintain temperature and RPM settings.
- Begin to empty barrel and, when resident resin is below the feed throat, disconnect or shut-off auxiliary feeding equipment and thoroughly clean material feed system, ensuring all components including blenders, hoppers, loaders, filters, magnets, hoses, and drain ports are cleaned.
- Introduce Dyna-Purge (1 to 2 times barrel capacity) into empty hopper or side port. Note: actual amount needed depends on machine conditions. For twin screw applications with a starve feed system, be sure to meter Dyna-Purge in slowly.
- Remove screen pack and ensure minimum die gap clearance. Note: refer to the Dyna-Purge product information sheet for minimum clearance requirements.
- Begin to purge. Short bursts of high agitation (RPMS) will loosen build-up. Subsequently slowing the speed or stopping the screw allows the purge to expand and then push out the loosened contamination. Continue to alternate this process until the purge is clean and free of contamination.
- Thoroughly clean the hopper and material feed system as described above and adjust temperature settings for your next production resin.
- Using your next production resin, flush out the remaining Dyna-Purge.
- Thoroughly clean die surface to remove any contamination and, if applicable, install new screen pack and make die gap adjustments.
- Start production run.
Before performing any procedure, it is the machine operator’s responsibility to be aware of their company’s safety policy, to wear the appropriate personal protective equipment, and to make sure that only authorized personnel are in the area.
Important! The information presented herein, while not guaranteed, was prepared by competent technical personnel and is true to the best of our knowledge. NO WARRANTY OR GUARANTY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IS MADE REGARDING PERFORMANCE, SUITABILITY OR OTHERWISE. This information is not intended to be all-inclusive as to the manner and conditions of use, handling or storage. Other factors may involve other or additional safety or performance considerations. While our technical personnel can respond to questions regarding safe handling and use procedures, safe handling and use remains the responsibility of the customer. No suggestions for use are intended as, and nothing herein shall be construed as, a recommendation to infringe any existing patents or to violate any Federal, State or local laws.
Choose any product and have it shipped today!
Visit Us at K Show
Oct. 16-23, Hall 13, B91-28
Protective Purge Guard
Purge Smart™ with Lava-Shield Protective Purge Guard
New Dyna-Purge A
Excellent for polypropylene (PP)